Sunday, November 13, 2011

HolyMotherOfGodIt'sBeenForever!

So I haven't quite forgot about this blog, it's just that it hasn't quite been on my list of things to do, or update, or pay attention to, in the last (what I thought were just a few) months. It has slightly less bearing on my weekly activities as (unfortunately) my fantasy football team. Turns out it's been nearly TWO YEARS since my last post!?!?! Epic fail, this girl.

Update in a nutshell: I'm applying for graduate school. Yes, graduate school, more specifically a PhD in Cell Biology, or some variation thereof. This idiot, party of one, has decided to go back to school and forgo the paycheck and lifestyle of a true adult, and thinks it's time to pretend that I still have room in this noggin for some more learnin'. Clearly, fail part two.

In all of this shenanigans that is the graduate school application process, I have gained the lovely gift of writer's block. This "gift" of sorts is oh-so-helpful when it comes to writing a personal statement. I wish I could just write "I'm not overly-awkward or crazy socially retarded, and I will function in your lab, accept me you bitch." Strange that an admissions committee would look down on that. Maybe if I calmly refer to them as fragrant douche-nozzles they would be more kind...maybe...

Really, I do not have anything against the people that read through the hundreds of applications deciding on the future of the individuals who have slaved for hours over the meaningless prompts like they are squishing ants on a countertop during the summer. It's really the overall process that sucks more than the life from your soul. Studying for stupid standardized exams, writing about how amazing my work is, or just plain filling out my SSN for the 7th time, the overall act of placing your future in someone else's hands is not something I have ever been good with. Giving up control has never been one of my specialties.

So here I am, giving up control, and letting someone as far as 3000 miles away tell me whether I seem smart enough on paper to fly that distance and talk to them, just to have the committee of interviewers realize I'm just barely smarter than that turd they avoided on the sidewalk this morning. First application hopefully will be submitted by the middle of the week. Last one to be submitted by December 15th. Here's to the insanity of the application process!

No comments:

Post a Comment